While living in a grade listed building offers a whole range of prestigious advantages, knowing how and what you can alter in terms of the structural design can prove to be a confusing nightmare at times. It is always useful to have as much information to hand before you make a request for consent and given our experience at City Sounds, we thought it would make perfect sense to bring together the various questions we have been asked over the years into one place.

Our short guide below will offer some initial guidance related to grade listed buildings. For full comprehensive information, please contact your local authority or the relevant heritage trusts we have to provide links to below.

How do I know if my building is listed?

You can simply search the National Heritage List for England. Here you will find out if your home is listed and if so, at what grade.

What are the different grades of listing?

There are three categories of listing as follows:

  • Grade I for buildings that are offer historical significance or outstanding architectural interest.
  • Grade II*
  • Grade II the majority of listed buildings fall into this group, listed for special interest.

How can I get a building listed?

Contact Heritage England as the first port of call. They will require the application to be supported with new evidence relating to the historic and/or architectural interest of the building. You do not have to be the owner of the building and there is no right of appeal against a listing.

Does listing cover the entire building?

Yes, the listing covers the full interior, unless explicitly highlighted as being excluded in the list description. This also means any additional extensions or fixtures and structures that may be attached. Any land attached to buildings developed before 1948 will also be included in the listing under the term ‘curtilage.’

How does living in a grade listed building affect me?

There are limits to the changes you can make without receiving the appropriate building consent from your local planning authority. Listed Building Consent is usually the best starting place.

What work can I carry out on a listed building?

Building consent is only generally required when it involves altering the character of the building or the removal of historic material. ‘Like for like’ repairs and standard maintenance do not require building consent. For example, internal decorating and painting would not require building consent, but painting the exterior of a building could, because it may alter its character. The removal of fireplaces or doors would require building consent while replacing a new bathroom or kitchen would not.

Do I need Listed Building Consent to install secondary glazing?

In the vast majority of cases, you will not need to gain permission, which makes this an ideal alternative to double-glazing, as that is more often than not turned down. It is always worth remembering that under Building Regulations, listed buildings are exempt from energy efficiency requirements.

If you have any further questions regarding your grade listed building, please get in contact with one of our friendly team members with your query.